Mercedes Android Auto lets you integrate your smartphone into your car’s in-dash color screen and cockpit controls. You can control your Android phone via the COMMAND knob and steering wheel buttons. Using a simplified interface, easy-to-use buttons, and voice recognition, Mercedes Android Auto allows you to use your phone freely and safely while on the road. Android Auto is available on most 2016 and newer Mercedes-Benz models. To get Android Auto on older Mercedes-Benz cars, you can upgrade your head unit with an aftermarket Android Auto Receiver. Remember that you may lose your CD Changer if you install an aftermarket unit.
Mercedes Android Auto Features
Mercedes Android Auto provides many features that allow you to turn your smartphone into your automatic driving companion.
- Mercedes Android Auto features Google Maps with real-time GPS. Map your next destination with step-by-step navigation, traffic alerts, and detour notifications. Using voice-activated commands makes finding nearby gas stations, restaurants, and hotels easy.
- Making phone calls using voice command actions and answering incoming calls with just one simple tap is easy.
- Mercedes Android Auto supports all your favorite media apps, including Google Play Music, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, Deezer, Slacker, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, YouTube Music, and Audible. Mercedes Android Auto also supports music, radio, news, sports, audiobooks, and podcast apps.
- Mercedes Android Auto allows you to send and receive calls and texts through voice commands. You can go back and reread past messages or dictate new text messages through voice actions. Google renders your voice-to-text accurately and efficiently. Mercedes Android Auto supports various messages apps, including SMS, Hangouts, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Telegram, WeChat, Kik, Google Allo, and much more.
How to connect your phone to Mercedes Android Auto
- Once you plug your Android smartphone into the USB port, your car will detect your phone’s connection.
- The Android Auto icon will pop up automatically, and you to “Start Automatically.” This is recommended for phones used regularly.
- If you’re using a phone for a limited time, select “Manual Connect.”
Using Voice Control with Mercedes Android Auto
To activate the Voice Control System, hold down the microphone button on your Mercedes-Benz steering wheel or use the manual control to toggle over the microphone button on the display screen. Once activated, Google will help you with whatever you need by guessing your next desired steps, sending texts, placing a phone call, or adding a new destination to your GPS map.
Which Mercedes-Benz models are compatible with Android Auto?
Below is a list of Mercedes-Benz models supported by the Android Auto feature. The list is updated as of September 6th, 2017.
- A-Class 2017-
- B-Class 2017-
- CLA Coupe 2017-
- CLA Shooting Brake 2017-
- CLS Coupe 2017-
- CLS Shooting Brake 2017-
- E-Class Cabriolet 2017-
- E-Class Coupe 2017-
- E-Class Sedan 2017-
- E-Class Wagon 2017-
- GLA 2017-
- GLE 2017-
- GLE Coupe 2017-
- GLS 2017-
- Mercedes-Maybach 2018-
- S-Class Sedan 2018-
- SL 2017-
- SLC 2017-
Source: Android Auto
Installing Android Auto on earlier Mercedes-Benz models
There is no way to upgrade older Mercedes-Benz models to Android Auto. Hopefully, Mercedez-Benz is working on software upgrades to update older models.
In the meantime, there are a couple of aftermarket Android Auto alternatives:
- Replace the head unit with aSony XAV-AX100 6.4″ Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver with Bluetooth.
- Pioneer Android Auto Head Unit
Compatible Mercedes Android Auto Apps
For a full list of compatible apps for Android Auto, visit http://g.co/androidauto.
Will my phone work with Mercedes Android Auto?
Mercedes Android Auto works with Android 5.0 or higher, including Lollipop, Marshmallow, or Nougat.