If you own a 2015 and newer Mercedes-Benz but don’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto you may be able to enable these features yourself. In this guide, you will learn how to use a simple module that plugs into the OBD2 port of your Mercedes-Benz and activates the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. An activation tool can be used to automatically unlock CarPlay and Android Auto without needing any extra coding or programming.
Your Mercedes-Benz dealer should be able to activate CarPlay/Android Auto as well. Get a quote from the dealer and decide which route you want to go. If the dealer quote is too expensive it may make sense to go with this DIY solution. Also, note that this procedure may void your car warranty.
How to activate Mercedes CarPlay and Android Auto
What you need:
- You must have COMAND NTG5.1 Audio System / Audio20 head unit
- Mercedes CarPlay Activation Module
- To use Android Auto or CarPlay you will need to install smartphone integration package.
Instructions on how to activate Mercedes CarPlay/Android Auto
These instructions will help you unlock Mercedes CarPlay Android Auto on COMAND NTG5.1
If your Mercedes is not compatible or the activation module doesn’t support your chassis don’t perform these steps or you will damage the COMAND on your Mercedes-Benz.
- Open the door of your Mercedes. Do not step on brakes. Do not press start. Do not start the engine.
- Locate the OBD2 port under the dashboard of your Mercedes-Benz.
- Plug the activation module into the OBD2 port. On your COMAND screen, you should a message saying DIAG. Wait for the restart. Allow the module to automatically activate the CarPlay and Android Auto on your Mercedes-Benz. After about 30 seconds the CarPlay and Android Auto should unlock. Head unit will restart.
- The command should restart after a few seconds.
- Verify that CarPlay or Android Auto are working by plugging in your phone.
- If you have Audio20 made before 2015 the head unit may need a firmware update. It will have to be performed by the dealer.
- Connect DoIP or XentryConnect dealer equipment necessary to update Audio20 (SA505 or SA522) or COMAND (SA531) head unit firmware.
- It requires using special HLI000000XXXX update disk.
- You need iPhone 5 and newer for Apple CarPlay
- This procedure may void your warranty.
- Make sure to use USB Lightning cable
Which Mercedes cars will this work with?
- A-Class W176 production 12.2015+
- CLA-Class W117 production 12.2015+
- B-Class W246 production 12.2015+
- GLA-Class W156 production 12.2015+
- GLE-Class W166 production 01.2016+
- GLE-Coupe W292 production 01.2016+
- GLS-Class X166 production 01.2016+
Check the Datacard or the production date of your Mercedes-Benz on your VIN sticker.
Why does my Mercedes not have CarPlay / Android Auto enabled at the factory?
The early NTG Audio 20 build between 2015 and 2016 are the same as the newer NTG Audi 20 units that already have CarPlay Android auto enabled. The only difference is that the sofware installed in the older units does not have CarPlay and Android Auto enabled. Mercedes-Benz dealers can perform a firmware upgrade and enable CarPlay and Android Auto as well. This procedure typically takes about one to two hours and requires Star Diagnostic scanner.
- CarPlay and Android Auto retrofitting on Mercedes-Benz cars
- Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 – retrofit?