Are you looking to get a new key made for your Mercedes Benz? Did you lose all of your keys? That’s ok. If you own a newer Mercedes-Benz, you don’t need the old keys to order a new Mercedes key. Just follow the instruction below on how to order a new Mercedes key.
Keys for older Mercedes-BenzWe have learned that Mercedes-Benz no longer makes replacement keys for older models. Generally, if you own a pre-2000 Mercedes-Benz, you may have difficulty finding a replacement key. You should check with the dealer, but here are your options if they have discontinued keys for your car.
Find a locksmith that specializes in European cars. They are more likely to have a device such as the AK500 programmer
Not all locksmiths can make Mercedes-Benz keys, but in most major cities, you will find locksmiths who can make Mercedes-Benz keys.
What do you need to order a new key? You don’t need the car with you or even your existing key. The dealer will order the right key for your car from the VIN. With that said, they are very strict on verifying ownership.
If you are the current owner of the vehicle:
- Locate the closest Mercedes Benz dealer. Click Here
- Get your current vehicle registration. If not registered, the original title will do.
- Get your driver’s license or passport, or identity card.
- Head over to the dealer.
- Show them your documents and pay the $200 to $300 for your new key. In some cases, new keys may cost up to $560, as reported by Mercedes-Benz owners.
- Wait 3 to 4 days for the key to be shipped to your dealership. Keys are made in the USA in some cases, and they have to be shipped from Germany, in which case you may have to wait up to 10 days.
If you are NOT the current owner of the vehicle:
- All the required documents as if you were the owner of the car, plus you will need the following:
- A Signed and dated authorization from the vehicle owner for which the key is being requested.
- Use aMercedes key cover to protect you key from accidental damage.
- If the key fob shell is damaged, consider replacing your Mercedes key shell with a new one.
- For some models, you can order a WALLET KEY which will unlock and start the car but doesn’t have the keyless door functions. The wallet key is cheaper, so check if this is available for your model.
- Copies of the originals of the documents above are not accepted. They need to be originals.
- Each intelligent key uses a rolling code when it unlocks/locks your car. So you can’t just make a copy of the existing key.
- If you lose a key and you are worried that it is in the wrong hands, you can take your car to the dealer, and they can disable the lost key.
- Mercedes Benz says that they need to synchronize the new key to the car. You can easily do that yourself. The key comes pre-programmed to your car and will start without further programming. The synchronization is more for the doors, windows, and unlock functions. Even those functions have worked for me every time without any further synchronization.
These steps work if you live in the USA, Canada, or any country with an authorized Mercedes Benz dealer near you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask by filling out the comment form below.