Learn how to replace the tail light bulbs/lamps. This DIY applies to:
2001-2007 Mercedes Benz C Class all models such as C230 C320 C240 C280 C55 .
Get rid of Lamps Defective Error Message on your instrument cluster. Do not use LED lamps when replacing bulbs in your Mercedes Benz; you will still get a message on your dash display.
On this page, you will find the following:
- Step-by-step instructions.
- Video on how to replace the tail light bulbs.
You will be able to replace the following:
- Brake Light / Stop Light Bulb ( Bulb type needed: P21W)
- Turn Signal Light Bulb Lamp (Type needed: PY21W See example here)
- Backup Lamp ( Light bulb type needed: P21W)
- Tail, parking, standing (Light bulb type needed: R5W 5007 Amazon link here)
- Backup / Reverse light bulb lamp
How to video, at the bottom.
- Turn off your lights.
- Open the trunk.
- Locate the side of the tail lights with the burned / defective bulb. Fold the trim over.
- Turn the locking plastic to a vertical position by rotating it 90 degrees.
- Optional Step: Pull out the wire connector.
- Remove the bulb assembly.
- Locate the defective light bulb. Here is a picture to identify the bad light bulb.
- Twist the bad light bulb gently and pull it out.
- Install the new bulb by pushing it into the socket and turning it slightly to lock it into place.
- Reinstall the assembly by pushing it in place and locking it using the twist tab you unlocked before.
- Push the trim cover back in place.
Video on how to replace the tail light bulbs.
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
C Class C230 C240 C320 C280 C55 W203