- You adjust the seat using the power seat switch installed on the E or CLK class door, but the seat moves in the opposite direction.
- You try to slide the seat forwards, but the seat moves backward.
- You try to slide the seat backward, and the seat slides forward.
- The seat only moves forwards, no matter how you move the switch.
- 1996-2002 E Class W210 E320 E420 E430 E55
- 1996-2002 CLK Class W208 CLK320 CLK430 CLK55
This happens because the Electric Seat Adjustment (ESA) control modules (N32/1 left or N32/2 right) responsible for controlling the seat no longer remember the limits where the seat can extend. We will need to re-synchronize the seats to resolve this problem, which you can do in a couple of minutes. Synchronize the limits of the switch by following the instructions below.
Instruction on how to synchronize the power seats
- Insert the key into the ignition and turn to position 2. You should see all the dash lights turn on. Do NOT start the car.
- Roll down the windows.
- Leave the key in the ignition and get out of the car.
- Reach the power seat switch on the door of the E-Class / CLK-Class and move the seat all the way forward.
- Once the seat moves entirely forward, hold the switch on for at least 3 more seconds.
- Move the seat to the back. When the seat reaches the furthest back position, hold the switch for at least 3 seconds.
You can follow the same procedure to adjust any seat positions, the headrest, and the steering wheel column.
Please note that if the problem in your car is not the switch synchronization, you may be stuck with the seat in the forward position. If the seat synchronization fails, you can press the Memory buttons 1,2 or 3 to get the seat to move backward.
If the instructions above do not solve your seat problem, you may need to replace the power switch. You can find a new button on Amazon at a very reasonable price. We have provided a link to see the Mercedes-Benz power switch on Amazon.
We found the power seat switch shown above online (link W210 Power Seat and Steering Adjustment Seat Part Number).
Related Part Numbers
- 210 820 89 10 / 2108208910
- 210 820 30 10 / 2108203010
Did these instructions work for you? Please take a minute to give us some feedback!