Many Mercedes-Benz diesel cars such as E220, C220, S350, G350, ML350, and ML250 equipped with BlueTec technology use AdBlue® Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). The AdBlue fluid is sprayed in the exhaust gasses, lowering NOx emissions.
If you see an AdBlue Warning light on your instrument cluster, it may be time to refill your Mercedes-Benz with AdBlue. Typical AdBlue messages are:
- Refill AdBlue at Workshop
- AdBlue Check Additive See Operator’s Manual
- AdBlue Range
- Engine Start Not Permitted (AdBlue Empty)
- Check AdBlue. No engine Start is Possible in XXX miles/km.
- Refill AdBlue See Owner’s Manual
- AdBlue Should be refilled at the next opportunity
It is important to realize that you cannot start your car if the AdBlue level reaches zero. In such cases, you will get a warning message that says, “No engine start possible.constantly”
Where to buy Adblue for Mercedes-Benz?
AdBlue, used in Mercedes-Benz cars, is developed by a European company called VDA ( Verband der Automilindustrie). If you want to buy AdBlue for Mercedes, you have several options. You could buy AdBlue fluid from a Mercedes-Benz dealership and add it yourself. A very popular Mercedes AdBlue alternative that many owners use is the BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid
How long does AdBlue last?
Typically 5 gallons of AdBlue will last anywhere from 10k-15k miles. The range will vary depending on driving habits.
How to add AdBlue to a Diesel Mercedes
Adding AdBlue to Mercedes-Benz BlueTec cars such as W221, W463, and W166 is easy and simple.
- Open the fuel door lid.
- Note the blue cap next to the fuel fill cap.
- Add the required AdBlue. Don’t mix AdBlue with diesel fluid.
Make sure to add AdBlue to the correct tank. Do not mix AdBlue with diesel fluid. AdBlue is not an additive or a lubricant. Do not mix water with AdBlue.
Mercedes AdBlue Capacity
The typical capacity for a Mercedes-Benz AdBlue tank has a 5-gallon capacity. You don’t need to add AdBlue every time you get gas.
Recommended AdBlue service:
• Every 10k miles, refill with AdBlue
• Every 20k miles, drain the tank and refill
Make sure to add AdBlue as soon as possible if you get a message on your instrument cluster that the AdBlue level is low.
If the warning light asks you to add AdBlue, you must add diesel emissions fluid. Otherwise, your engine won’t start when the AdBlue level reaches 0. Typically you have about 1000 miles from the point that you see the AdBlue warning light until the system reaches zero. Don’t get stranded or stuck in a parking lot. Add AdBlue. AdBlue is cheap and easy to add.
Mercedes Adblue Reset
The AdBlue warning message should usually turn off after a few driving cycles. If it doesn’t, try turning the key to position one (1st click, accessories on) and wait for at least 30 seconds. Next, turn off the ignition and wait a few seconds.
Instructions for AdBlue adaptation.
- Turn the ignition on once
- Press and hold the gas pedal. Keep the gas pedal pressed until the glow plug comes back on. Once the glow plug turns back on, remove your foot from the gas pedal. The glow plug light should flash a few times.
- Wait for the glow plug light to stop blinking. Then turn off the ignition.
- Wait 10 seconds with the ignition off.
- Turn the ignition back on.
- Press the gas pedal two times. The second time you press the gas pedal, continues to hold it pressed until you see the glow plug turn back on. Next release the
Mercedes Adblue Delete / Bypass
You may have heard about Adblue bypass module. Installing the AdBlue bypass module may violate laws in your Country or State. It is important to understand the legal requirements and the impact that you will have on the environment. The AdBlue bypass module will emulate a full AdBlue tank. Your Mercedes-Benz will run fine but pollute more since no AdBlue fluid will be injected into the exhaust gasses to reduce the harmful Nox gasses.
These modules bypass the AdBlue system and don’t use any AdBlue fluid. The module is installed in the trunk and requires connecting to the existing wire harness.
Mercedes AdBlue Heater
One of the failure points of the Mercedes AdBlue system is the AdBlue heater or the processor. If your Mercedes-Benz is still under warranty, you should have the dealer fix this problem free of charge. If you are out of warranty, consider replacing the AdBlue heater with a replacement unit to minimize the repair costs.
Check prices on Mercedes AdBlue heater (eBay link).
Mercedes BlueTec AdBlue SCR NOx Diagnostic
The AdBlue system on a Mercedes-Benz may fail. Watch the following video if you are trying to diagnose a problem with the AdBlue / SCR system.
AdBlue Fault Codes
Below is a list of typical fault codes on your Diagnostic Scanner.
- Engine AStart is not possible.
- The upper limit value for long-term SCR exhaust after-treatment system adaptation was exceeded.
- Starting the engine is impossible due to an AdBlue system malfunction.
- The remaining driving distance is limited due to a malfunction in the AdBlue system.
What Scanner Can I Use to Diagnose Adblue Problems on my Diesel Mercedes-Benz?
If your Mercedes-Benz is experiencing problems, the YOUCANIC full system diagnostic scanner can be an invaluable tool to help you troubleshoot issues. By connecting to your vehicle’s onboard computer, the scanner can read fault codes and provide information about any issues with your car’s engine, transmission, brakes, or other systems. The scanner can also perform diagnostic tests on various systems, including the ABS, airbag, and steering systems, which can help you pinpoint the root cause of any issues.
Not only does the YOUCANIC scanner provide diagnostic information, but it can also help you save time and money on repairs by allowing you to perform simple fixes yourself. For example, if you see the check engine light on, the scanner can help you diagnose the problem and determine if it’s a simple issue you can fix at home or need to take it to a mechanic. You can save time and money by avoiding unnecessary trips to the repair shop.
Overall, the YOUCANIC full system diagnostic scanner is a powerful tool to help you maintain and troubleshoot your Mercedes-Benz. Whether a DIY mechanic or a professional technician, this tool can help you diagnose and solve even the most complex automotive problems easily, saving you time and money on costly repairs.