Replacing the car battery on an E Class is an easy task that you can accomplish in less than an hour. Mercedes Benz cars have state-of-the-art electronics systems installed on them, and when a battery doesn’t charge or hold a charge well, even though the vehicle may start fine, it can still cause electrical malfunctions. At first, some of these malfunctions may not seem related to the battery. For example, illumination of airbag light, ABS error message, ESP warning message, transmission shifting issue in some cases, or a stored fault code in the ECU or TCU. If you have a battery over 5 years old, it may need to be replaced. The average life of a car battery is 4-6 years; some batteries could last 7 or 8 years. We will show you how easy it is to replace the battery in an E Class W210 and how to get a replacement battery for around $150.
What is the cost of replacing the battery on a Mercedes Benz
Between $100-$200. Really? So many people pay hundreds of dollars to get their batteries replaced. Why spend all that money when you can replace the battery in half an hour?
Where to buy a replacement battery.
Mercedes Benz cars use Group 49 /94 car batteries. Most Mercedes Benz cars use an Absorbent Glass Mat battery instead of the conventional battery, which is a lead acid battery. Below is a picture of an AGM Automotive Car Battery that fits Mercedes Benz cars. Currently, it is listed on Amazon for Under $170 and has 5-star reviews. When you go to the Amazon website, enter the year and model of your Mercedes Benz to find the exact fit battery for your Mercedes Benz.
10 Easy Steps to replace the battery on a Mercedes Benz E Class W210 1996-2002
- Buy a replacement battery on Amazon. Click here to find one that fits your Mercedes Benz.
- Locate the battery on your Mercedes Benz E Class. Don’t start looking under the hood; you won’t find the battery there. The battery is under the rear passenger seat in the E Class W210 1996-2002.
- Remove the rear seat cushion. To remove it, you must press on the lock mechanism below. Place your hand under the seat at the corner of the cushion. Do this for both corners. Here is a picture of what you must press to release the seat cushion.
- Once you release the seat cushion on both corners, move it up and remove it. Underneath, you will see the battery.
- Remove the negative battery terminal using a 10 mm wrench.
- Remove the positive battery cable from the battery post terminal.
- Remove the 13 mm bolt that holds the battery in place. Once the bolt is removed, the battery comes right out. Be careful not to injure yourself; these batteries are heavy.
- It is a good practice to clean the battery terminals before you attach them to your new battery. To clean the terminals, you will need a Battery Post Terminal Cleaner.
- Install the new battery. Connect the positive cable FIRST. Connect the negative cable LAST.
- Install the seat cushion. All you need to do is to place it in place and push it down. You should hear a click when it locks in place.
That is it. You are done. We would appreciate your sharing your experience using the comments section below.
These instructions apply to Mercedes Benz E Class W210.
Years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 ( 2003 Convertible)
Models: E320 E420 E200 E430 E55 AMG