You may have wondered why the “Battery protection: Convenience functions temporary unavailable” warning came up. Your car still runs and drives typically.
- Leave the car sitting for several days without starting it.
- Let your radio or lights on with the engine off.
- Have a battery that is reaching the end of its useful life.
- An electronic system such as a seat, sound system, or others drains your battery.
What does this message mean, and why am I seeing it?
- Monitor the voltage of the main battery G1 and auxiliary G1/7 battery.
- Monitor alternator voltage at terminal 61.
- Control auxiliary battery relay.
- Control on/off accessories privatization
- Control the charging of the auxiliary battery
- Sets fault codes via CAN Communication and DTCs
- Sends signal to display the instrument cluster fault message.
- If an electronic consumer/accessory (for ex: heated seats) drains the car battery too rapidly, stop the battery drain.
- To save the batteries for critical situations such as starting the car and running the engine properly.
What should I do to solve this problem?
If you left the lights on or the radio on and saw this message, leaving the car to charge is all you need to do. First, you should start and drive the car or let it idle for at least 15 minutes. The BCM will allow the auxiliary battery to get a charge once the system voltage is over 13.5 volts. It allows this one time every run cycle. Once the auxiliary battery gets charged, the error message on your display should not come up on your next driving cycle. If you see the message come up more and more frequently, check to see if your batteries need to be replaced.
If you have been seeing this message several times recently, it is time for you to plan on replacing the batteries. Car batteries have an average life of 5 years, so if your battery is old, plan on replacing it. You can get the auxiliary and main batteries from Amazon much cheaper than the dealer. You can read reviews, too, to make sure to get a good battery. Replacing either one of these batteries is easy. Below are the two batteries that you will need:
If you replace the batteries and you still are having problems, then you may want to check the GENUINE MERCEDES Auxiliary Battery Relay (High Current Relay) 0025424719
If you leave your car sitting for extended periods or would like to charge a dead / discharged battery properly, you can use a trickle charger like the one below to maintain or charge a car battery properly.
What Scanner Can I Use to Troubleshoot Mercedes-Benz Battery Problems?
If you’re experiencing problems with your Mercedes-Benz, a YOUCANIC full system diagnostic scanner can help you troubleshoot the issues. This advanced diagnostic tool can read and interpret the fault codes stored in your car’s computer system, providing detailed information about any problems with the engine, transmission, brakes, or other critical systems.
The YOUCANIC scanner can also perform diagnostic tests on various systems, including the ABS, airbag, and steering systems, to help pinpoint the root cause of any issues. With this information, you can make more informed decisions about repairs and maintenance, saving time and money on costly repairs.