This repair guide will show you step-by-step instructions, with pictures & video, on removing the instrument cluster from the dash on a Mercedes-Benz ML-Class, applicable to models manufactured from 1998-2005. In our situation, we needed to replace two of the T-10 miniature light bulbs. Click here to go to Amazon and order the correct light bulbs. Cool tip! You can install different color bulbs, such as red, yellow, and blue, to change the background color of your dash; links are provided below. You will not get a warning for using incorrect bulbs in the cluster if you use LED light bulbs.
With these light bulbs being burned out, the instrument cluster was partially lit up, and challenging to see the speed, especially at night.
To remove the instrument cluster, you will need about 30 min. It can be done in less time, but you don’t want to rush, damage the dash, or break any clips.
This is an easy task that can be completed if you have never removed a cluster. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very difficult, this is a 3 or a 4. You can remove this cluster and install it back in place with some patience.
Mercedes-Benz ML-class (W163)
Models: ML320 ML350 ML430 ML500 ML55 AMG
Model Years: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
Two T10 Wedge Light Bulbs. You can use LED bulbs and change the color of the instrument cluster background. Click on any of the links below to order the correct bulb on Amazon.
Light bulbs if you need to change the look of your instrument cluster. Click on any of the links to go to Amazon to order the desired color.
Step by Step Instructions. (Pictures)
Instruction on how to remove the instrument cluster on a Mercedes-Benz ML. Instructions online recommended removing the steering wheel, but you don’t necessarily need to do that. You can remove the instrument cluster from your ML without removing the steering wheel.
- Extend the steering wheel down as far as you can.
- Remove the plastic pieces on the right and left of the steering wheel using a plastic wedge (prying tool).
- Remove the instrument cluster bezel. Pull out the two little clips, one on each side, and pull down on the bezel to remove the bezel.
- Remove the two bolts that hold the instrument cluster in place. These bolts are on the left and right of the instrument cluster and can be removed using an 8 mm socket.
- Twist the two plastic bolts on the top part of the instrument cluster.
- Pull out the instrument cluster. Unplug the connector. First, you need to press down on the little tab shown below.
- Remove the instrument cluster from the dash. If you remove the steering wheel, this task will be easy. If your steering wheel is in place, removing the cluster may be a little tricky, but it can be done.
- Remove the instrument cluster illumination light bulbs. It would be best to twist the bulbs counterclockwise and then pull them out slightly.
- Install new light bulbs. To change the look of the instrument cluster, you can install different color bulbs and links provided above.
- Install everything in reverse order.
In these videos, you can watch how to remove the instrument cluster.