These instructions will show you how to remove and replace the front lower ball joint in an E Class W211 or a CLS W219. Before we begin, we must review the part numbers we used and the tools needed. Keep in mind that these instructions apply to RWD. If you have a 4matic, stop here, these instructions don’t apply to you.
SUSPENSION FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT Lower Ball Joint
Part Number 2113300435 2110435
2203330727 220 333 07 27 MB211-330-04-35
- E Class ( E320, E350, E550, E500 E63) Years: 2003-2009
- CLS Class (CLS550, CLS63 AMG, CLS 500) Years: 2005-2010
- Loosen the lug nuts before you raise the car.
- Raise the car. Make sure to use jack stands and not only just a jack.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the wheel speed sensor from the steering knuckle. All you need to do is remove the bolt on the sensor and unclip the wire from the plastic holder.
- Next, we must remove the bolt on the top of the ball joint. Before you do so, support the control arm underneath using a jack. A transmission jack is ideal in this situation. You will need to push the control arm up.
- Press out the old ball joint. Once you remove the bolt and move the control arm out of the way, you can press the old ball joint out. To get help pressing the ball joint out, see the video below.
- Next, you will need to press in the new ball joint. The setup is different for installing the ball joint than the removal setup.
- Bolt that holds the rpm sensor to the steering knuckle: 25Nm
- Ball joint bolt: 50Nm
Video: How to press a ball joint using a kit. You can borrow the ball joint press kit from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts for free.