Navigation Can Not Be Activated
Error message “Navigation CanNot be Activated” usually means that the Navigation system is not being able to start up (boot up) which could be due to several reasons. Common problems include wrong DVD disk, issues with the navigation processor A40/3n2 or fault in CAN bus (controller area network) communication.
Symptoms of MB navigation system problems
- After inserting the navigation DVD in your Mercedes-Benz COMAND, you get a warning message “Navigation Cannot Be Activated.”
- You press the NAVI button on the COMAND but get an alert message saying “”Navigation can not be activated. An error has occurred.”
- Mercedes Navigation Not Active
- Cannot read navigation DVD
Related Fault Codes
- N1112 No data transfer between D2B master and D2B predecessor component possible.
- B1762 Fault in CAN communication with component A40/3n2 (Navigation processor).
- CAN Bus Fault
- Damaged or wrong NAVI Map DVD
Check the navigation software version. Has it been updated with the latest software? If that’s the case, an older navigation DVD won’t work and can cause the error “Navigation cannot be activated” to show up.
- Fiber Optic Problem.
All the units which are part of the fiber optic need to be in proper working condition. If your Mercedes uses a separate drive for the NAVI DVD, it is possible that this unit can be defective. Learn more about fiber optic problem by reading Mercedes Audio System Explained.
- Navigation DVD Drive is bad
The DVD drive that holds your navigation disk could be damaged. The optical lens could be dirty.
- Try removing the DVD from the drive and let the car sit for at least half an hour. During this time don’t start the car, open doors or even unlock the vehicle. You want your Mercedes-Benz to go to “sleep.” After the waiting period reinserting the navigation disk into the DVD slot and try to power up your COMAND system. Press NAVI button and wait for the system to restart. If that doesn’t work go to the next step.
- Try resetting the COMAND system by removing the fuse for 15 minutes. Reinsert the fuses and check if the error message is gone.
- Check all the cables and connections in the back of the COMAND or the DVD drive. Especially if work was done near those units. It is possible that one of the cables in the back of the unit has gotten loose or is disconnected.
Navigation is initiating, Please wait
Another common error message that you will see is “Navigation is initiating please wait” Under such conditions the COMAND system works correctly except the navigation system. Here are a few possible causes and solutions to this problem.
- A related error is: “Cannot read navigation DVD” which is displayed when old navigation DVD is severely scratched or damaged. Make sure you are also using a compatible DVD disk. You may also get messages such “Navigation is initiating, Please wait” This can be caused by a dirty optical laser eye / optical head or lens. Cleaning the optical reader can fix this problem, but you need to be extremely careful to avoid damage to the optical head. Cleaning the optical lens inside the DVD drive should be done by a professional to avoid damage the surface of the optical head lens. There are cleaning CD on the market that may help with this task such as Maxell CD Lens Cleaner. We haven’t tested a cleaning CD, therefore proceed at your own risk if you try to go that route. Make sure the Navi disk itself isn’t damaged. If your stereo has only one slot for the Navigation DVD and audio CD, try inserting an audio CD or DVD to see it that works properly. If it does then the problem may be your disk and not the optical lens.
- If you are trying to update the navigation system using an update DVD you may get an error message saying Loading Navigation. This process can take a while in some cases up to one hour. Try removing the Navi DVD, turn off your car and let it sit for one hour. Afer an hour check to see if the Loading Navigation message is gone. Hopefully, the “Loading Navigation” message has disappeared, and navigation is be working correctly.
Navigation activated, Please Wait
- Another error message that you may see is “Navigation activated, Please Wait” This problem is typically intermittent. Such error doesn’t store a code so scanning for fault codes with Star Diagnostic scanner or iCarsoft MB II will show no errors. Most of the time the Mercedes dealer won’t be able to recreate this error due to the fact that it randomly happens and it doesn’t provide a fault code. If this if the case try to turn off the COMAND system and restart it. In most cases, this is a software glitch and a restarting the COMAND will get your navigation up and running again. This can also happen if you are using a burned DVD copy or your NAVI DVD has scratches or a bad drive optical lens may be the problem. You can try to have a professional clean the optical lens or replace the DVD / CD drive.
- Try updating Navigation Software. Update software comes with newer navigation DVD / CD and updates software automatically. Mercedes navigation DVDs can be purchased online if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative. Here is a listing of Mercedes Navi Disks.
You insert the NAVI DVD disc into the drive, press the NAV and get error message “Navigation cannot be activated”.
Applicable Mercedes Car Models:
- COMAND APS NTG2.5, Comand APS, Comand APS NTG2
- navigation cannot be activated mercedes
- ntg2 navigation cannot be activated
- comand aps navigation cannot be activated
- comand navigation cannot be activated
- navigation cannot be reached