MB DOES NOT MAKE REPLACEMENT KEYS FOR SLK230?

Discussion in 'SLK-Class' started by EMAUSTA, Jun 14, 2017.

1. EMAUSTA

EMAUSTA New Member

I wanted to get a new Remote key for my SLK230, 2001. The MB dealer just told me they can not program and create these anymore. Only a manual key. I find this hard to believe. Has anyone any experience with this. any suggestions where I can go to ket a replacement key?

2. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

Suppose they did it in Europe last year and rumors say the USA follow this year.
    Good part the shells swap easy on old keys, so unless you loose it, you can keep on going.
    Still in Europe you can find locksmith who will program MB key for you.
    No such thing in USA.

3. EMAUSTA

EMAUSTA New Member

Thanks very much. I have approached MB Customer services and they asked me for all details. lets see what they come back with. One other question: what is or does the little black triangle in the key of the SLK230 R171 2001. What I read is that this is the transponder, but as far I can see it does not make any contact with the electronic board. Is that supposed to be like this?

4. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

You mean that black trapezoid in the shell tip? It is ignition transpoder.
    Transporders work without batteries.
    Don't loose it as this is the part that cost biggest money.

[​IMG]

5. EMAUSTA

EMAUSTA New Member

That's the one. Thanks. I will hang on to this essential part of the key. I am not sure why the remote is not working. It seems that the electronic board does not get any power. I am on a mission to get this fixed. Will post if I have found the solution, and where I got this done in the Netherlands for sharing purposes. I guess I will not be the first and the last one with this problem.