Easy step-by-step picture and video instructions on how to repair your windshield rock chip / bull’s eye. Repairing a windshield rock chip takes about 30 minutes. Even if you are doing the repair for the first time. So go ahead, do it all yourself, it’s easy. It is better to repair a rock chip to prevent the damage from spreading to unaffected areas of the windshield. The repair will reduce the risk of the windshield getting a crack and will also reduce the visibility of the rock chip.
We have included links to two of the highest ranked kits. You could use either one and the results should be the same. Both of these kits are highly ranked on Amazon. We used the Blue Star Rock Chip repair kit in this case. As you will see below the steps are easy, but make sure to follow the steps as outlined in the kit that you will receive. They may differ a little bit from kit to kit.
Parts needed: Windshield Repair Kit
Our two favorite kits are:
- We will show you how to use a syringe-type kit to fix the rock chip. Please understand that at first you will be sucking the resin out of the break (to clear air bubbles) and then forcing it back in with air pressure. Practice locking the plunger in the two positions, vacuum & pressure, before squeezing in the resin.
- Be careful to press the doughnut-shaped adhesive onto the windshield firmly all the way around. When we didn’t pay enough attention to this step, the resin worked its way through and trickled down the windshield.
Step by step instructions
- Get a windshield repair kit, any of these kits on Amazon should work.
- Clean the area and the chip. Use a sharp object like a razor blade or a pin to scrape out the loose pieces of glass or dirt. Do not use any type of liquid. The area needs to be dry for this repair to work.
- Mount seal on the windshield. Peel backing off the one side of the adhesive seal. Press seal into the glass making sure that the rock chip is in the center. Put some pressure with your finger to make sure it is sticking all around.
- Peel off the paper backing from the top of the seal exposing the adhesive on place the pedestal.
- Install Pedestal. Mount the pedestal to the adhesive seal. Press pedestal firmly to the glass. Make sure it is a right bond.
- Place resin into the pedestal. First cut the tip of the resin container. You will need to leave a small drop of resin for a latter step. Even if you squeeze out the whole resin, don’t worry. Leave the resin container upside down with the cap on it. This will allow that any residual resin collects to the tip of the resin bottle which you will use at a latter time.
- Connect the syringe to the pedestal. Make sure to press it firmly into the pedestal. Place the pin into the syringe if your kits comes with the pin.
- Lock plunger into the VACUUM position. This step will suck the air from the little cracks in the windshield caused by the rock chip. You don’t need to hold it in lock position by hand, it should hold by itself. Let in vacuum position for 10 min.
- Remove the pin. This will allow that the syringe gets filled with air. Then place the pin back on.
- Move plunger to pressure position. Push the plunger down/in to create pressure inside the syringe. Make sure to lock the plunger into this position.
- LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 20 MIN.
- Remove pedestal. Using a razor carefully remove the pedestal from the glass.
- Fill pit. Get the small resin bottle and place a drop of resin in the center of the rock chip. Place the curing film over the center making sure there is some resin in the center of the rock chip.
- Let it resin dry for 15 min. Let it cure in the sun. The ultra violet sun rays cure the resin.
- Clean. Using a safety razor remove the film and any dry resin sticking to your windshield.
- That’s it. You are done.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The primary reason is that you want to avoid getting a crack developed in your windshield because of the rock chip damage. The secondary benefits is that the rock chip will be much less visible to the eye. The size of the rock chip/ bull eye should reduce by more than 80%. In case you were wondering, in many states it is illegal to drive with a broken windshield. So don’t let that rock chip turn into a windshield replacement.
BlueStar kit works great, but Rain X can be used more than once and it is also ranked #1 in Amazon at the time of this writing.